Everyone who know me knows that I am crazy for soup, so here is yet another soup recipe for you! I haven’t taken a picture of this soup yet but I am planning to make it this week so I can update this picture from empty soup bowls to yummy full bowls.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots (sometimes I use 2 cups of carrots for a variation)
- 1 cup chopped tomato (if you use canned, try Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes)
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin (if you can, grind your own cumin - it is worth the extra step!)
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 5 cups broth (use your own chicken or vegetable broth if you can)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Juice from half a lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Saute the onion until soft and transparent then add garlic, carrots, celery, tomato and cumin. Continue cooking over medium heat for 2-3 minutes then add broth and red lentils. Simmer for around 15 - 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender and beginning to break down. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary. Add fresh lemon juice and chopped parsley and stir to combine.
- Serve hot with a fresh loaf of bread and a green salad for a delicious and easy meal.
This post is participating in Sunday Night Soup Night, Monday Mania, Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Real Food Wednesdays, Simple Lives Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursday