This is a great, easy way to get a delicious and fancy looking dinner on the table very quickly. I like to serve this with a cool, crunchy green salad to contrast with the rich creaminess of the pasta sauce. This dish could also be modified to be served with garlic butter grilled fish, shrimp or chicken laid right across the top of the pasta.
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 - 6 oz prosciutto, diced
- one 14oz can of tomatoes, undrained (I recommend Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (I like Organic Valley)
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 1/4 cup vodka
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1lb penne (or other tubular pasta)
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (I recommend the good stuff not the shaker type, it is worth it!)
- In a large saucepan melt the butter. Add the garlic and lightly toast on med-high for 1-2 minutes (be careful, over cooked garlic is bitter!) Add prosciutto and cook, stirring frequently for another 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes, crushed pepper, salt and pepper and simmer for 5 - 7 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in cream and tomato paste and simmer for 2 more minutes stirring frequently. Add vodka off heat for safety, then put back on the burner for another 3 - 5 minutes, stirring to combine.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions and drain thoroughly. Add cooked pasta to sauce and mix well. Toss with parmesan cheese and serve hot.