My family is crazy for seafood of all sorts, so this Paleo Italian seafood stew always makes everyone happy. After the first serving I let my kids search through the pot for their favorite pieces of seafood. That is the beauty of this type of recipe, you can use whatever your family likes best. For us it means a firm fish like cod, shrimp, squid, and mussels but you could easily use clams, langostinos, mahi and scallops instead of, or in addition to, any of the ingredients listed.
Paleo Italian Seafood Stew (Ciopinno)
- 1lb firm white fish such as Cod, Haddock or Mahi Mahi
- 1 dozen medium or large shrimp, shelled
- 1/2 lb squid rings (and tentacles if desired)
- 1 dozen fresh mussels (or clams) cleaned
- 4 oz spanish chorizo diced
All the rest
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, diced
- 2 cups of fresh chopped tomatoes (or 1 14oz can diced tomatoes with juices)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika (don't skip this ingredient, it really makes the dish!)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (use more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups fish stock (or chicken stock)
- Heat the olive oil in a stockpot on medium. Add the chorizo, onion, bell pepper, garlic and parsley and cook while stirring occasionally until the onion begins to be translucent. Add the chopped tomatoes, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and cook for 5 more minutes. If using squid, add it now and simmer for 5 minutes before proceeding to the next step.
- Add all of the remaining seafood and the stock, stirring very gently to combine. Bring the pot up to a strong simmer and cover it for 15 minutes. When the mussels and/or clams have opened, remove the pot from the heat and gently ladle the stew into shallow bowls.
This post is participating in: Keep It Real Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursday, Tastetastic Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Freaky Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Foodie Friday, Gallery of Favorites, Friday Favorites, Fit and Fabulous Fridays, Feasting in Fellowship, Gluten Free Fridays, On The Menu Monday, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Monday Mania, Homestead Barn Hop, Must Try Monday, Make Your own! Monday, Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tout It Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day Wednesdays, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Works For Me Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesdays