Spiced nuts are a delicious and nutritious snack or salad topping, and you can use whatever spices suit your taste. Similar to granola or trail mix, spiced nuts are a great way to blend various flavors and textures such as coconut flakes, dried fruit and seeds.
- 2 cups nuts of your choice (I used walnuts)
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes (not the sweetened type)
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil (or other oil of your choice)
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped dried pineapple
- I use my Stir Crazy Popcorn Popper to make these nuts but you can also use a large frying pan and stir constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Heat the Stir Crazy or your frying pan to medium and then add in the oil and all of the spices. Stir well and then add in all of the remaining ingredients - Except dried fruit if using. Stir the nuts continuously until you see that they are turning a golden toasty brown.
- The amount of time you toast your nuts is completely up to you, I usually run my Stir Crazy for 10 minutes to get the level of toasted color that I like.
- When the nuts have toasted to your liking, turn them out onto a double layer of paper towels and spread them out to cool. Once cool, add in dried fruits if you are using them and then store in an airtight container in the cupboard (if you have any left, these things are addictive!)
This post is participating in Simple Lives Thursday, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways