I just harvested the first cabbage from my Square Foot Garden and I am so excited to make this yummy dish with it. I really like cabbage and this particular recipe is one of those dishes where I feel like I could eat the whole platter! The mix of veggies and spices really work well together to produce a somewhat addictive flavor.
I am posting a picture of my cabbage, which you may notice is just about as big as my dog!
- 1 medium sized head of green cabbage
- 1 1/4 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tbsp oil (I like coconut oil for this recipe)
- 2 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 fresh hot pepper finely diced, such as serrano or jalapeno (seed and de-vein if you don't like it too hot!)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp sugar (I like turbinado in this recipe)
- 1 tsp garam masala (an Indian spice mix, look in the spice section at your grocery store or health food store)
- Core the cabbage and shred finely. Preheat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and bay leaves and then cook for a few seconds before adding the cabbage, peas, turmeric and cayenne. Stir well to mix thoroughly.
- Cover the pan and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes so the vegetables remain a little crisp and then add the diced pepper, salt and sugar stirring well to mix.
- Cover again and cook for 2 more minutes then remove from heat and stir in the garam masala.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
This post is participating in Real Food Wednesdays, Simple Lives Thursday #84, Freaky Friday, Make Your Own! Monday, Monday Mania, Fresh Bites Friday, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, On The Menu Monday