These scones are a delicious treat for weekend mornings or brunches. The sour cream gives the dough a delicious tang and the tart cranberries are wonderfully balanced by the caramel sweetness of the raw sugar. I use fresh cranberries when they are in season and dried cranberries or cherries the rest of the year.
- 2 cups All Purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raw sugar (turbinado)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, roughly chopped or dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In food processor pulse together flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Add cold butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Turn mixture out into a large bowl and mix in chopped cranberries and chopped walnuts.
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup beat together sour cream, water and egg.
- Slowly pour sour cream mixture into dry ingredients mixing with a rubber spatula until dough forms. Knead the dough lightly in the bowl with the spatula and then turn out the dough ball onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Pat the dough into a large circle and then cut into wedges using the back of a long knife. You will need to sprinkle flour on the knife in between cuts to keep the dough from sticking.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown.
This post is participating in Freaky Friday, Fight Back Friday, Friday Food Flicks, Simple Lives Thursday, Sweets for Saturday, Feasting in Fellowship Friday!, Sweet Saturday Link Party, On The Menu Monday, Friday Favorites, Trick or Treat Tuesday