This is a household favorite that I am sharing today especially for my cousin in Dallas who has an adorable, muffin lovin’ daughter.
- 3 - 4 very ripe bananas, smashed with a spoon or a potato masher. (3 bananas if they are small, 4 if they are big)
- 1/3 cup melted butter (I like organic salted butter)
- 3/4 cup sugar (I like raw sugar)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbs espresso or strong coffee (optional) or 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup of flour (all purpose works well or you can do 1/2 all purpose and 1/2 white whole wheat)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (toasted or raw)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. With a wooden spoon, mix the melted butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the sugar, egg, espresso and vanilla.
- Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in.
- Add the flour, mix until it is just incorporated. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour mixture into a prepared muffin tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean, it's done. Cool on a rack.